Berlin market lorry attack: Only suspect held released


LorryImage copyright
Getty Images

Image caption

The lorry attack at the Breitscheidplatz market left 12 people dead and 49 injured

The only suspect held after Monday’s deadly lorry attack on a Berlin Christmas market has been released, prosecutors say.

They say they do not have sufficient evidence to pursue the case against the man, who has been identified by media only as Pakistani national Naved B.

The man earlier denied any involvement. He was captured in a park after reportedly fleeing the scene.

The attack at the Breitscheidplatz market left 12 people dead and 49 hurt.

Before the man was released late on Tuesday, German officials had said they could not be be sure if he was involved in the attack.

“We have to entertain the theory that the detainee might possibly not have been the perpetrator,” federal prosecutor Peter Frank told reporters.

The style of attack and the target suggested Islamic extremism, he said.

The man, said to be 23-years-old, was reportedly known to police for minor crimes, but had no links to militant organisations.

He arrived in Germany on 31 December last year and his asylum application was still in progress.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *